gunmen insecurity nigeria

New kidnappings in Kwara, Kano overshadow joy of Kebbi schoolgirls’ release

Fresh Abductions in Kwara, Kano Overshadow Rescue of Kebbi Schoolgirls, Eruku Worshippers The celebrations following the rescue of 24 schoolgirls in Kebbi State and 38 worshippers in Kwara State have been short-lived, as armed bandits launched fresh attacks in Kwara and Kano just hours after the presidency hailed improved security operations. Barely a day after the federal government announced the release of 38 captives from the Christ Apostolic Church in Eruku — a victory credited to “pressure from the DSS and the military” — gunmen returned to the same local government to abduct more residents. Isapa Attack: Bandits Strike Again, 5km From Eruku On Monday evening, assailants stormed Isapa, a community in Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, located about five kilometres from Eruku where the earlier rescue took place. Local sources said the armed men moved with a large herd of cattle to blend into the environment before launching the attack. The Kwara State Police Command confirmed 10 abductees, but community leaders insist the number is closer to 20, including children, nursing mothers, and a pregnant woman. “The bandits went after a businessman who had previously paid ransom. When they couldn’t find him, they took his family and neighbours instead,”— Abayomi Daramola, community leader Kano, Niger Also Hit as Wave of Abductions Spreads The insecurity ripple extended to Kano State, where gunmen abducted 10 residents in Tsanyawa Local Government Area on Monday night. Locals believe the incident is linked to bandit activity spilling over from neighbouring Katsina State. Meanwhile, in Niger State, tension persists over the abduction of more than 265 students of St. Mary’s Catholic School, Papiri. Their situation contrasts sharply with the joyful reunification of Kebbi victims, highlighting the uneven outcomes of security interventions across the country. A Win, Then a Setback President Bola Tinubu had earlier praised security agencies for the rescue of the Kebbi schoolgirls and Kwara worshippers, but the latest attacks have muted national relief and raised concerns over the sustainability of recent gains in the fight against kidnapping and rural banditry.

Read More
whatsapp image 2025 10 15 at 08.31.15

Kidnapping Crisis: Lawmakers advance bill proposing death penalty in Nigeria

Senate Approves Move to Impose Mandatory Death Penalty for Kidnapping The Nigerian Senate on Wednesday resolved to amend the country’s Anti-Terrorism Act to prescribe the death penalty — without the option of a fine or judicial discretion — for all kidnapping offences. Senate President Godswill Akpabio announced the decision during plenary after a majority of lawmakers backed the proposal through a voice vote. The resolution followed an additional motion by Senator Abdul Ningi (PDP, Bauchi Central), who raised concerns over the escalating rate of abductions nationwide. Senator Ningi urged the Senate to mandate its Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, to draft the amendment to reclassify kidnapping as an act of terrorism, automatically attracting capital punishment regardless of circumstance, region, or outcome. The motion was seconded by Senator Adams Oshiomhole (APC, Edo North), who insisted that judges should have no discretion when passing judgement for such offences. “The offence of kidnapping should carry the death penalty with no judicial discretion. Parliament must make this law clear,” Oshiomhole stated. The former Edo State governor also called on state governors to be willing to sign execution warrants, noting that many shy away from authorising death sentences despite legal backing. “Governors must have the courage to sign death warrants. I did as governor — others refused,” he said. Senate President Akpabio endorsed the proposal, declaring that the Senate had taken a firm position in favour of the maximum punishment. “Once kidnapping is proven in court, a death sentence must follow. No judge should have the power to lessen it. Kidnapping should be classified as terrorism, and the punishment must be death — without discretion,” he said. After the motion was put to vote, it was adopted by majority approval. Akpabio subsequently directed the Senate Leader to prepare the amendment immediately, stressing urgency in addressing the growing insecurity challenge. Under the current Anti-Terrorism Act, kidnapping that results in the death of a victim already attracts the death penalty, while cases without fatalities draw varying penalties, including life imprisonment. The law also criminalises ransom payment, imposing a minimum sentence of 15 years on those who pay kidnappers. Kidnapping has continued to surge across Nigeria, with criminal groups benefiting heavily from ransom payments. During the earlier debate, Senator Diket Plang (Plateau Central) described ransom funds as a major revenue source for terrorists, enabling them to acquire weapons and sustain operations.

Read More
former vice president atiku abubakar

Atiku: Schoolgirls’ release isn’t a win — terrorists now operate like alternative government

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised the Federal Government over its handling of the recent abduction and release of schoolgirls in Kebbi State, cautioning that the incident does not reflect a victory over insecurity but rather highlights how terrorists increasingly function like an “alternative government” in some regions of the country. In a statement released on Wednesday, Atiku faulted the comments made by the Special Adviser on Information and Strategy to the President, Bayo Onanuga, who described the girls’ release on Arise News as a security achievement. Atiku condemned the remarks as a desperate attempt to repaint a national tragedy and present government failure as heroism. He challenged Onanuga’s assertion that security operatives were tracking the kidnappers in real time and had established contact with them, arguing that such claims raise even more troubling questions. If authorities truly had access to such intelligence, Atiku asked, why were the terrorists not apprehended or neutralised, instead of becoming negotiation partners. According to him, the release of abducted citizens should not be celebrated as a victory—it is a stark reminder that terrorists move freely, negotiate openly, and dictate conditions, while the government resorts to statements aimed at saving face. He insisted that no government should take pride in negotiating with criminals it claims to be monitoring, noting that the recurring pattern of mass abductions, ransom settlements and unhindered escape of bandits proves that terrorists now operate unchecked. Under Tinubu’s leadership, he argued, bandits function like a parallel authority—demanding ransom, securing freedom and returning unchallenged—while officials applaud their cooperation. Any government that brags about watching terrorists rather than stopping them, he said, is either overwhelmed or complicit. Atiku maintained that Nigerians deserve security, not “fairy tales by moonlight,” and urged the government to stop masking its shortcomings with propaganda. The abduction, as earlier reported, took place on November 17 when gunmen attacked Government Girls’ Secondary School in Maga, killing a staff member and seizing 25 students; one managed to escape almost immediately, leaving 24 in captivity until they were freed on Tuesday. President Bola Tinubu, through a statement issued by Onanuga, welcomed their return and expressed relief that all missing girls were accounted for, while calling on security agencies to intensify efforts to rescue others still held by abductors across the country.

Read More
img 7557

President Tinubu Announces Security Emergency, Greenlights Recruitment of 20,000 Additional Police Personnel

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Wednesday declared a national security emergency, authorising a fresh recruitment drive across the Nigerian Police Force and the Armed Forces in a bid to tackle rising insecurity across the country. A statement released from the State House confirmed that the President has directed the Nigeria Police to enlist 20,000 new officers, increasing the total planned intake to 50,000 personnel. Tinubu further approved the temporary use of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camps as police training centres to accelerate deployment. “Today, in view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency and order additional recruitment into the Armed Forces,” the President announced.“The police will recruit an additional 20,000 officers, bringing the total to 50,000.” Tinubu explained that although upgrades to police training facilities had earlier been approved, security agencies may now convert NYSC camps into training depots for faster mobilisation. He also directed that officers withdrawn from VIP protection duties undergo rapid retraining before redeployment to high-risk zones across the country. DSS to Deploy Forest Guards, Bandit Hotspots Targeted The President also authorised the Department of State Services (DSS) to deploy specially trained forest guards to combat terrorists hiding in Nigeria’s forest regions. Additional manpower is expected to be recruited to reinforce the operation. “This is a national emergency,” Tinubu said.“We are responding by deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas. The times require all hands on deck.” Commends Rescue Operations, Seeks Legal Backing for State Police Tinubu praised security agencies for the rescue of 24 schoolgirls in Kebbi and 38 worshippers in Kwara, pledging continued efforts to secure students still held hostage in Niger State. He paid tribute to fallen officers, including Brigadier-General Musa Uba, who was killed in recent counter-terror operations. The President also urged the National Assembly to consider legislation enabling states to establish state police where needed. He called on local authorities, schools, churches, mosques, and other public institutions to increase security vigilance. Push for Ranching — Open Grazing to End Tinubu highlighted the newly created Ministry of Livestock Development, urging herders to embrace ranching, drop illegal arms, and move away from open grazing to reduce farmer-herder conflicts. “Ranching is now the path forward for sustainable livestock farming and national harmony,” he said. Final Message to Nigerians Tinubu called on citizens to remain calm, cooperate with security agencies, and report suspicious activity, assuring the nation of government commitment to restore peace. “We are in this fight together — and together we shall win,” he concluded.“May God bless Nigeria and protect our armed forces.”

Read More